Bakhresa Grain Milling (Malawi) Ltd was incorporated on 22nd December 2003 to take over the assets of the former Government Parastatal, Grain & Milling Company Ltd (GRAMIL) under the Government of Malawi Privatization Program. The company’s name was changed to Bakhresa Malawi Ltd on 28th October, 2013.
After taking over the assets from GRAMIL, the Company invested in an ultra modern 250 tons per day capacity wheat mill purchased from Buhler, Switzerland, which was officially inaugurated by His Excellency, the State President of Malawi, Dr Bingu Wa Mutharika, on 20th May 2006.
After successfully utilizing the capacity for a continuous period of five years, a second fully automated state of the art technology wheat mill of the same capacity was installed. The capacity of the Mill was doubled and is 500 tons per day. It once again had the privilege of His Excellency the State President of Malawi, Dr Bingu Wa Mutharika to officially commission the second mill on 18th January 2011.
The company has a predominant market share of the local flour market. The wheat flour produced by the Company is being used by the bakeries, biscuit and confectionary manufacturers, home bakers for making bread, biscuits, chipatis, mandazi, cakes, cones and other bread/baking products.
Bakhresa Malawi Limited was the winner of G20 Challenge on INCLUSIVE BUSINESS INNOVATION awarded in Los Cabos, Mexico in 2012.
Bakhresa Malawi Limited also manufactures LAUNDRY SOAP under AZAM and OKAY brands, to cater domestic and export markets from their Limbe and Mzuzu Plants, with a total capacity of 100 mt per day.
Azam TV Satellite Services
Bakhresa Malawi Limited is the sole distributor of Azam Media Satellite net work for supply of TV-media reception equipment and managing the subscription collection.
In recognition of its corporate social responsibility, the company:
- Conducts workshops imparting baking tips to bakeries and also directly involving itself to educate the end users on the benefits of bread consumption as an alternative to their staple diet.
- Train its staff periodically on different skills conducted by various training agencies/TEVET etc. It also sponsors local employees to graduate from National Association of British and Irish Millers (NABIM).
- The company is also undertaking farming, in pilot scale, to grow wheat, maize and other vegetables with the assistance of International Experts. It acquired 1600 hectares of land at Ngapani farms in Namwera District, south of Malawi.
- Promote HIV/AIDS policy at workshops. It has been awarded for the best practices on HIV/AIDS by the AIDS Workplace Programs in Southern Africa (AWISA). The company is a member of the Malawi Business Coalition Against HIV/AIDS (MBCA), the governing body of the country on HIV/AIDS.
- Contributes cash and/or kind to the social cause of Malawians on every occasion of pleasure or pain in their celebrations, festivities and famine/disaster
- Contributes to not-for-profit social organizations who run institutions to assist in educating, training and supporting the down trodden.
- Supports a local Foot Ball club to help them generate champions of the game.
All enquiries and comments can be sent to:
Bakhresa Malawi Ltd
Phone: +265 1 841 198 / 841 794 / 844 051
Fax: +265 1 843 342